US versions of Netscape now available

David Sternlight david at sternlight.com
Thu Jul 18 05:14:44 PDT 1996

At 10:51 PM -0700 7/17/96, snow wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, David Sternlight wrote:
>> >I'm glad too.  So how many minutes did it take to leak overseas?
>> It doesn't "leak overseas" as if there were some regrettable lapse in the
>> plumbing. Someone has to commit a felony violation of Federal law.
>
>     No they don't. If they are French, Russian, English, Greek, etc. They
> _may_ be violating their countries laws, but they are not necessarily
>violating ours.

That is only true if they find a way to crack Netscape's software
distribution security from overseas, or somehow found a user machine with
the software on it and cracked IT. IF the thing leaks it is much more
likely because someone on our side of the border was complicit.

Do I _think_ it will stay on this side of the border? Of course not. But
any leaked copies will be illicit and won't be in the "mass" market of
non-US Netscape versions. I think the government realizes this and the
safeguards are designed to deal with the mass of overseas users, not the
odd clever hacker and his friends.

David