#E-CASH: PRODUCT OR SERVICE?

Stig stig at hackvan.com
Thu Jul 18 03:59:13 PDT 1996

> Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 22:48:23 +0200 (MET DST)
>  From: Alex de Joode <usura at replay.com>
>  To: cypherpunks at toad.com
>  Subject: Re: #E-CASH: PRODUCT OR SERVICE?
>  Newsgroups: list.cypherpunks
>
> [..]
>  : "Ecash" is a registered trademark of DigiCash.  It is registered
>  : with the Benelux trademark office and the United States
>  : trademark office.  I believe that it is considered unwise to use
>  : minor variations on trademarked names, but I'm not an
>  : intellectual property rights lawyer.
>
>  The Benelux (Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg) trademark laws
>  don't allow for slight variations, certainly not if there is a
>  change that people get confused, it is very very likey that the
>  judges of the benelux trademark court will decide that
>  ecash and e-cash are just to simular, and will thus confuse the
>  public. (art 5 lid 1 BMW)
>
>  btw: I'm surprised DigiCash didn't file for a European Trademark,
>  but opted for Benelux and US protection.

Perhaps this has already been voiced on the main list (I get a filtered
helping or two of cypherpunks), but *I'm* surprised that such a generic name
as 'Ecash' was granted trademark status anywhere.

It's like giving Microsoft a trademark on the term 'Email'...  It's nuts!
Was the term ecash not in use before DigiCash showed up on the scene?

    Stig