An interesting instance of poltical anonymnity, now revealed

E. ALLEN SMITH EALLENSMITH at ocelot.Rutgers.EDU
Wed Jul 17 22:54:27 PDT 1996

	I find the CBS News response unfortunate. There's also the simple
question on lying to maintain the identity: what's so bad about lying? Why
he revealed himself is somewhat of lesson also.
	-Allen

   _ Wednesday July 17 9:12 PM EDT _

'Primary Colors' Author Steps Forward

   NEW YORK (Reuter) - One of the best kept secrets in political,
   journalistic and publishing circles was revealed Wednesday when
   Newsweek journalist Joe Klein admitted he was ''Anonymous'', the
   mysterious author of a novel based on President Clinton's 1992
   presidential campaign.

[...]

   Klein, facing fellow journalists who had been speculating along with
   many politicians and readers about the identity of ''Anonymous'' since
   the book's publication in January, fended off questions about his
   credibility and about how he had lied when asked whether he wrote the
   book.

   ``It wasn't easy, but I felt that there are times when I too can lie
   to protect a source and I put this in that category. Other people may
   see this differently,'' said Klein.

[...]

   CBS News later said it was unhappy with Klein, who works for the
   network as a political consultant.

   ``We are obviously disturbed by the fact that Joe Klein was not
   forthcoming with us nor with nearly anyone else of his authorship of
   the novel 'Primary Colors,''' CBS News executive Vice President
   Jonathan Klein (no relation) said in a statement. He said network
   president Andrew Hayward would meet the author next week to discuss
   the matter.

[...]

   His announcement followed a report in Wednesday's Washington Post that
   handwritten changes to the manuscript appeared to match Klein's
   handwriting.

[...]

  _Reuters Limited_