Can't block caller ID in Massachusetts?

t byfield tbyfield at panix.com
Wed Jul 17 20:43:22 PDT 1996

At 12:03 AM -0700 on 7/16/96, Lucky Green quoted/wrote:

> >    Your straining my credulity to claim that you can't get ahold of the
> >regular phone number of them.   Come on, are you 7 years old?
>
> How do you get a hold of the phone number if you don't know the location of
> the company, they aren't on the net, and don't have the US phone numbers
> CD-ROM handy? I am 33 and have yet to figure this one out...

	Try getting anything done from outside the country, where WATS lines
need not apply, thank you, even if you _do_ have your CDRs with you. The
amount of effort it takes to get around those %#$*ing 800 numbers from
outside the US is a nontrivial component in US companies losing business to
foreign competitors, imo.

	ObCrypto: non-net communications channels will necessarily play a big
part in any systematic effort among the G7+ to establish a transnational
GAK regime, and prickly details like disparities/imbalances in phone
systems will wreak havoc on a practical level. In fact, the
politico-economic dynamics that distort international telecom arrangements
will probably go a long way toward hobbling the "widening horizons of
police cooperation" the TLAs are aiming at. Then again, maybe the only
thing worse than international GAK might be an incompetently bureaucratized
international GAK system.

Ted