#E-CASH: PRODUCT OR SERVICE?

Alex de Joode usura at replay.com
Wed Jul 17 11:40:37 PDT 1996

[..]
: "Ecash" is a registered trademark of DigiCash.  It is registered
: with the Benelux trademark office and the United States
: trademark office.  I believe that it is considered unwise to use
: minor variations on trademarked names, but I'm not an
: intellectual property rights lawyer.

The Benelux (Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg) trademark laws
don't allow for slight variations, certainly not if there is a
change that people get confused, it is very very likey that the
judges of the benelux trademark court will decide that
ecash and e-cash are just to simular, and will thus confuse the
public. (art 5 lid 1 BMW)

btw: I'm surprised DigiCash didn't file for a European Trademark,
but opted for Benelux and US protection.

bEST Regards,
--

	-AJ-