Banning Anonymity As Well (was Re: How I Would Ban Strong Crypto

Deranged Mutant WlkngOwl at unix.asb.com
Wed Jul 17 07:58:00 PDT 1996

On 15 Jul 96 at 11:53, Bill Frantz wrote:
[..]
> I still think this whole GAK thing is going to fail on the, "Which
> government?" question.  I don't see either multi-nationals or their
> governments wanting to share their secrets with each other, and I don't see
> how to set up universal GAK to prevent that form of industrial espionage.
> Also, the key which decodes the GAKed data is just too valuable and too
> easy to steal.

Assuming the info is encrypted with one GAK key, yes.  There might be
a series of keys, perhaps for each escrow agency, or an id-number
that identifies the key.

Note that such methods will not allow much anonymitiy, since each
communication must be escrowed.  The method used to id. the key can
be used to trace a sender or receiver's id.

Rob
---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl at unix.asb.com (root at magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl at unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.