PGP 3.0 / Windows

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 17 05:37:57 PDT 1996

> Has anyone heard anythong about PGP 3.0?  Is it still due Real Soon
> Now?  Or might it be worthwhile to break out VC++ and do a port as a
> cpunks cooperative project?

As I've said, there is no PGP 3.0, there is only PGPlib.

We're trying to finish it as quickly as possible.  There are only a
few more functions that are required; we just need to make sure the
API is extensible enough to handle the new features we want to add
later.  As for the current status, I've started using the message
processing application for my every-day encryption/decryption.  It
works fairly well (there are a few weird states that still need to be
worked out).  I'm still working on the key management application, so
that isn't nearly as 'ready' to be seen.

Qustion: what do you want to "port"?  PGP 2.6.2?  You're joking,
right?  Do you know how difficult that would be?  Not to mention that
you'd never get a Windows look to it because of all the printf()'s
throughout the sucker.

We're doing the best that we can to get PGPlib finished.  But the more
people who send email asking "when is it going to be finished" the
less time we have to actually finish it (since we have to spend
precious time answering the email).

I hope this answers your question(s).

-derek