Encrypted file systems

Mark C. Henderson mch at squirrel.com
Sun Jul 14 16:59:45 PDT 1996

On Jul 14, 12:48, Adam Back wrote:
> Subject: Encrypted file systems
> - Encrypted file system located in a file in another file system
>   (much like DOS stacker drives) this is an ease of use criteria -- I
>   suspect re-partitioning drives would put off many potential users.

There are a couple of advantages to this sort of approach (i.e.
having the encrypted filesystem live in file(s) on an ordinary
filesystem) other than ease of use.

1. Backups are easy. One can use whatever backup software one normally
uses.

2. The encrypted filesystem can actually live on a remote file server
with data being encrypted/decrypted on the fly on the local host. (of
course, you have to consider the security risks that you get from
being on a network).

--
Mark Henderson -- mch at squirrel.com, henderso at netcom.com, markh at wimsey.bc.ca
ViaCrypt PGP Key Fingerprint: 21 F6 AF 2B 6A 8A 0B E1  A1 2A 2A 06 4A D5 92 46