Correction Re: Can the inevitability of Software privacy beused . . .

David Sternlight david at sternlight.com
Sun Jul 14 14:13:54 PDT 1996

At 5:49 AM -0700 7/14/96, Peter D. Junger wrote:
>I wrote:
>
>: : The ITAR do NOT apply to books.
>:
>: The only trouble with this claim is that it does not conform to the
>: language of the ITAR or with the whimsical practices of the Office of
>: Defense Trade Controls.  There is no exception for books, except for
>: those that are in the public domain because they are sold in book stores
>: and at newstands or are found in libraries, and the ODT insists that one
>: cannot put a book into the public domain by putting it into the public
>: domain or by selling it in a bookstore.
>
>Whereas I meant to say:
>
>: cannot put a book into the public domain by putting it into _a
>: library_ or by selling it in a bookstore.
>
>I hope that this did not cause any confusion.

Let's see if I understood what you said. Is "a" the operative word--that
is, are you telling us that a book is in the public domain if it is widely
sold in bookstores or held in libraries, but that you can't put it in the
public domain by selling it in one bookstore or depositing it in one
library?

If so how many are enough? If not, please clarify further.

Thanks;
David