CDT Policy Post 2.27 - No New News on Crypto: Gore Restates

Deranged Mutant WlkngOwl at unix.asb.com
Sat Jul 13 16:42:11 PDT 1996

On 12 Jul 96 at 18:23, Bob Palacios posted:

[Banner Snipped!]]
>  CDT POLICY POST Volume 2, Number 27                        July 12, 1996
[..]

> Today's statement is essentially a re-statement of the Clipper III proposal
> released in May.  Among other things, the Vice President:
>
> *  Called for the liberalization of export controls provided computer
>    users participate in a "global key management infrastructure"
>    designed to make personal encryption keys accessible to law
>    enforcement.

This is particularly problematic... if the mainland Chinese gov't
requested a key from a N.Amercian or European (or even UN controlled)
escrow agency, who is to say it isn't really for political reasons
(even though they may claim the persons are drug smugglers)?

Or what if the 'crime' was, say, discussing Mormon beliefs, which is
illegal in Singapore (and I think Russia as well)?

Or what if some terrorist was using keys escrowed in a country that
sponsered terrorist acts?

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl at unix.asb.com (root at magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl at unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.