Destabilizing China's Government with Strong Crypto

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Fri Jul 12 04:54:39 PDT 1996

At 4:40 AM 7/12/96, Arun Mehta wrote:
>2) Encourage the production of simple, cheap devices such as a PGP phone
>that they can manufacture in Hongkong and other parts of China, which will
>allow secure communications. Basically, people without a computer, Internet
>connection or sufficient literacy should be able to use effective
>encryption. Cheap.
>
>3) Find people who beam radio transmissions into China (Rupert Murdoch via
>his Star TV satellite is one ;-) and ask them to devote an "Internet hour"
>in which people can mail or phone in messages (via remailers and encryption
>too) to be broadcast. The whole thing can be automated, and  *everybody* has
>access to radio. More on this subject later.

Good ideas, all. And deploying steganography is a natural fit to this situation.

And this is yet another example of the negative effects of the U.S.
restrictions on crypto export: where widespread crypto tools might be used
to destabilize repressive governments, the lack of these tools integrated
into common applications makes it harder for freedom-fighters in China,
Burma, Iran, France, etc., to use them.

I often think the American CIA and NSA are actually just enforcers of the
status quo, preferring a New World Order of crypto-restricted citizen-units
to a more diverse, anarchic world in which private citizens and
corporations can thwart the desires of central governments.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!