Mind-Altering Drugs

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Wed Jul 10 19:04:06 PDT 1996

At 2:24 PM -0400 7/10/96, Timothy C. May wrote:
> Leary came to a Cypherpunks party, a little over a year ago, at the home of
> Doug Barnes. He was pretty frail-looking.

My favorite Leary quote:

    "Adulthood is terminal."

Mildly appropriate, given his death from prostate cancer(?).

When I was in college at Mizzou, he came to speak. I went up to him for an autograph, and the only thing I could find for him to sign was my "Introduction to Aristotle" book. We had a laugh about that.

I'd read about Gerry O'Neill before I saw Leary, but him showing slides of the inside of Bernal colonies got the, er, ball, rolling as far as my fascination with space development stuff is concerned.

Glad to know he was still as focused on the crackpot fringe :-) in his later years as he was in midlife.

Long may you wave, Dr. Leary...

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah at shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"'Bart Bucks' are not legal tender."
                -- Punishment, 100 times on a chalkboard,
                       for Bart Simpson
The e$ Home Page: http://www.vmeng.com/rah/