Minitel "saved" by hackers?

Arun Mehta amehta at giasdl01.vsnl.net.in
Wed Jul 10 18:36:06 PDT 1996

At 08:10 10/07/96 -0700, Martin Minow wrote:
>Arun Mehta describes the "hijacking" of Minitel (where users changed
>a videotex system into two-way communication medium) as a "hacking"
>(in the computer breakin sense).
>
>I think it might be more accurate to call this a "redirection" -- the
>people using Minitel "manifest[ing] tastes often opposed to those foreseen
>by experts"

True, but as I understand it, there was also a hacking involved: they took
the original software, modified it (what I would also call hacking) and made
it freely available: that is what made the messageries possible. If I'm
using the technical terminology wrong, thanks for the correction.

I'd love to find out exactly what happened.

>Perhaps this is just another example of the cypherpunks manifesto:
>"information wants to be free."

More than that, we do!
Arun Mehta Phone +91-11-6841172, 6849103 amehta at cpsr.org
http://mahavir.doe.ernet.in/~pinaward/arun.htm
The protestors of Tiananmen Square will be back. Next time,
the battle will be fought in cyberspace, where the students
have the more powerful tanks...