what's up with GROW?

Robin Powell rpowell at algorithmics.com
Wed Jul 10 13:47:35 PDT 1996

    > I didn't post there specifically, but John Gilmore may have done so a
    > while ago.  What specific problem are the cyberpunks trying to solve
    > that GROW would facilitate?

Sorry, I've just recieved so much complete incompetence with this
issue that talking to someone who was on the ball took some
adjusting.  Hope I wasn't too rude.

One of the main issue on cypherpunks right now (Black Unicorn did a
sort of "white paper" on it recently, as in two days ago) is
integrating cryptography with other apps, in particular WWW apps.  It
just seemed to me that if the kind of exstensibility which Emacs is
famous for was going to be a part of GROW, which apparently was the
attention, this would be a Good Thing for cryptography integration.  I
good point in this direction is that the most popular way of using PGP
with email is emacs-based (i.e. more people sign their posts to
cypherpunks using Mailcrypt, the emacs-PGP interface, then all other
signers combined, so it must be pretty easy to use).  I've used it,
and it's incredibly slick.  I had hopes the GROW to go as far as emacs
but with more network awareness.  Oh well.

This has been crossposted to cypherpunks, BTW.

-Robin

PS: You may want to go through and terf ALL the grow pages, not just
some of them.