[RANT] Giving Mind Control Drugs to Children

William Knowles erehwon at c2.org
Tue Jul 9 05:55:23 PDT 1996

On July 8th, 1996 Herr Doctor Duvos wrote:

>Medicating a disease is fine.  Recreational uses of relatively
>harmless intoxicants and are also fine.  It is the inappropriate
>use of strong medicines with serious side effects by clueless
>people for vague criteria like "reaching his or her potential"
>that I have a problem with.

I have a problem with people like Mike Duvos who think that
folks like myself and others on this list with ADD use having
ADD as a crutch for being fidgety, not getting their work done
on time, or worst yet, Fired.

I wish people like Mr. Duvos could walk a mile in my shoes before
making off the cuff remarks, I wish I could get jobs done on time,
I wish that I could finish one project before starting three more!
My office looks like someone tossed a hand grenade in it,
Proposals to the left, Job quotes to the right, jobs is various
states of completion, Lost jobs to my inattentivness to my clients,
Lost good clients because of having ADD and not knowing it!

I wish I would have known about ADD eariler than now, I might
not have been the complete fuck-up that I was in school, and worst
than that, The nearly ten years after high school.  One of my wishes
did come true, and that was finding out that I do have ADD.

Ritalin has been a godsend, I am able to dialin when I have to.
Ritalin is not the only drug for treating ADD, Prozac works for
some.  There are times when I need the boundless energy to
find time to be creative and I stop taking my meds, but its only
for short periods, I remember all too well what I was like without
knowing what the problem was with work, love, and life in
general.

Below is a list of famous people with Attention Deficit Disorders
and/or Learning Disorders, and I'd be willing to bet that Perry Metzger
either has, or knows someone with ADD.

Albert Einstein, Galileo, Mozart, Wright Brothers, Leonardo da Vinci,
Bruce Jenner, Tom Cruise, Charles Schwab, Henry Winkler, Danny Glover,
Walt Disney, John Lennon, Winston Churchill, Henry Ford,
Stephen Hawkings, Jules Verne, Alexander Graham Bell, Woodrow Wilson,
Hans Christian Anderson,Beavis, Nelson Rockefeller, Thomas Edison,
Gen. George Patton, Agatha Christie, John F. Kennedy, Whoopi Goldberg,
Rodin, Thomas Thoreau, David H. Murdock, Dustin Hoffman, Pete Rose,
Russell White, Jason Kidd, Russell Varian, Robin Williams, Louis Pasteur,
Werner von Braun, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Robert Kennedy, alberto Tnmba
Prince Charles, Gen. Westmoreland, Eddie Rickenbacker, Gregory Boyington,
Harry Belafonte, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Steve McQueen, George C. Scott,
Tom Smothers, Lindsay Wagner, George Bernard Shaw, Beethoven, Carl Lewis,
Jackie Stewart, "Magic" Johnson, Weyerhauser family, Wrigley, John Corcoran.

One can only wonder how much more great some of the people on this list would
be today if they knew ADD back then.

William Knowles
erehwon at c2.org

--
William Knowles    <erehwon at c2.org>
PGP mail welcome & prefered / KeyID 1024/2C34BCF9