Style gettting in the way of clear reporting

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Jul 7 20:53:11 PDT 1996

Believe it or not, this has some very slight cypherpunk relevance.  (Gasp)

At 10:06 PM 7/7/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:
> Sadly, simple expository prose must be considered to be too boring, too banal.
>
> (Actually, were only a few writers doing this, it might be mildy tolerable.
> Speaking for myself, that is. But so _many_ "cyberspace journalists" are
> doing bad pastiches of famous stylists that the reportage is being lost in
> the noise.

When news media were concentrated into fewer and fewer hands during
the twentieth century, the appearance of neutrality, objectivity,
and authoritativeness became a major selling point, and so media
adopted a tone and manner of neutrality, with an accompanying
"just-the-facts" style, though in reality they became far less neutral

Now that everyone can grab the megaphone, people are not so worried
about objectivity.  If something is unfair to Nazis or blacks or evil
polluting capitalists, they know they will hear about it from the
Nazis, the blacks or the evil polluting capitalists.

As a result, people no longer value the superficial appearance of
neutrality and objectivity.  Suddenly colorful and openly biased
reporting has become popular.

This has led to some people engaging in florid excesses of colorful
style and concocting totally phony attitudes., just as when word
processing programs first gained the capability to handle a wide
variety of fonts, some people produced memos that looked like
ransom notes.

Soon enough they will settle down.  English prose was at its greatest
in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, when many voices could be
heard, and some of them were on the florid side.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd at echeque.com