CCC Crypto Lock

Paul S. Penrod furballs at netcom.com
Sun Jul 7 02:25:52 PDT 1996

On Sat, 6 Jul 1996, Deranged Mutant wrote:

> On  6 Jul 96 at 4:10, anonymous-remailer at shell.port wrote:
>
> > MicroPatent, 4 July 96
> [..]
> > Abstract: Disclosed systems and methods for protecting a
> > software program from unauthorized use and copying
> > through the removal at least one of a plurality of
> > instructions comprising a software program, and
> > encrypting the removed instruction utilizing an
> > encryption algorithm to produce an encrypted instruction,
> > the encryption algorithm responsive to a randomly
> > generated key.
>
> Would certain computer  viruses be considered prior art here? (Be it
> that they encrypt for the purposes of hiding rather than copy
> protection though.)
>

> Rob.

Possibly, when looked on in a narrow venue. Polymorphic viruses exhibit
this as only one characteristic though. It would be a tough sell in my
book. Unless the patent's author stipulates in his method that this issue
is the basis for the claim and that his claim is unique because of this
method - then it just one step of many from point A to B.

As a hunch, I would suspect that Vault Corp. may have existing code that
might qualify as prior art. Dave Lawrence and a few of his coding buddies
spent several years staying one step ahead of software products like
copyright, and it is concievable that some of this methodology may have
been employed to do so.

...Paul