Need PGP-awareness in common utilities

bryce at digicash.com bryce at digicash.com
Sat Jul 6 15:53:18 PDT 1996

An entity calling itself ichudov at algebra.com probably wrote
something like:

> My moderation bot STUMP is not only PGP-aware, it is also doing
> a lot of PGP-related things. Among them:
>
> 1) For posters who voluntarily chose additional protection, STUMP allows
> only messages with a valid PGP signature to be posted.
<snip>
> 2) All exchange between my modbot and human moderators is PGP-signed
> (and encrypted when necessary)
<snip>
> 3) All message approved for posting to usenet get signed with Greg
> Rose's PGPMoose program.
<snip>
> 4) There is an additional service for those who post through anonymous
> remailers BUT want to have an identity and reputation.
<snip>  <Great idea!>
> We currently have at least two posters whose real life identities are
> unknown, who use this feature and have sent us their PGP keys.
>
> STUMP is currently working in production mode seemingly with no problems.

Okay Igor, that is an impressive list of features!  Now what
I want to know (and what I want other people here to hear) is:
_How_ difficult was it to incorporate these PGP features into
your software?  My guess is that it was a simple matter of
making a couple of system calls to PGP, plus maybe extra
defense against replay attacks (you _do_ have defense against
replay attacks don't you?) and the fact that you have more
debugging work because you have more features.

Regards,

Bryce