Net and Terrorism

attila attila at primenet.com
Fri Jul 5 15:45:21 PDT 1996

Addressed to: CyberEyes <cyberia at cam.org>
              Cypherpunks <cypherpunks at toad.com>

CyberEyes <cyberia at cam.org> pontificated at 07/05/96 12:29pm -0400

= On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, attila wrote:
=
= > "denied zones" (we were never there) is no longer in vogue.  however, we
= > will probably see that again in parts of the world as many cultures do
= > not have the basic respect for life we do.
=
= 	What is your last comment supposed to mean exactly? Just because
= some Islamic militants decide to kill a few people in a terrorist attack
= does not mean that the entire believer population of Islam does not have
= respect for life. Just who is "we"? Americans? Europeans? All
= industrialized nations? Every country except those Third World ones? Uh...
= I don't see your point very clearly here... The only culture I can think
= of that might now have respect for life are cannibals, and they DO have
= respect for life in a way, they don't kill each other (I don't think), and
= they do it because it's their lifestyle, but they don't perform
= cannibalistic acts out of malice. Correct me here if I'm wrong.
=

	let me phrase it another way: there are circumstances where the lives
    of 'n' innocent people are of less consequence than the enemy --in other
    words, try to keep collateral damage to a minimum, but get the target
    before he executes more harm (this applies to hostage situations, as well)

	in general, this does not mean wipe out an entire 100 story building to
    find a single sniper, but sometimes a commander is faced with the choice:
    send a team in with a 10% chance of accomplishing the mission (i.e. the
    team is killed or the target escapes) or waste the village.

	until you have experience the death of men in combat, you will never
    understand this principle. I certainly did not, and even as a graduate of
    Harvard and an active member of the LDS Church, I found it only takes once
    to _clearly_ understand that it is 'to kill or be killed.'

	don't sit in your ivory tower and pontificate until you walk the mile
    in my shoes.  I also had the responsibility for as many as 1600 additional
    'black shirts' in a fire zone  --think about it.

	oh, sure, I (or anyone else) will never convince you --but maybe you
    will think about it.

	war is hell, son; and war zones are somewhere beyond.  if you go, just
    pray that you come back understanding that and not with scrambled eggs for
    brains.

		-attila

--
  "Don't hunt wild game, hunt lawyers!