Net and Terrorism.

Paul S. Penrod furballs at netcom.com
Thu Jul 4 19:30:11 PDT 1996

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> At 5:58 AM 7/4/96, attila wrote:
>
> >        U.S. cash has eliminated a lot of Soviet weapons, including, I
> >believe
> >    some chemical.  however, keep in mind: the obsolete, and expensive to
> >    maintain, hardware predominated.  However, you will never be able to
> >buy out
> >    the religious terrorists --they are on a "mission."
> >
> >        The Western world faces far more threat from fundamentalist religious
> >    terrorists than it does from the Soviet Union, etc.
> >
> >        There is no cure for the "revolutionary" terrorists --just death
> >for their
> >    own brand of glory.  If we do not even print their obit, there is no glory!
>
> I recall that Attila is one of several Mormons on the list, from a recent
> thread where I happened to mention Mormons as an example (and got comments,
> including a statement that "Mormon" is a slur).
>
> Anyway, I should point out that Mormons (or Latter Day Saints, I guess) are
> spreading quickly around the world...all WITHOUT using "conversion by the
> sword," as some other well-known religions are wont to do.
>
> Islam, notably, was known for this policy of conversion by the sword:
> entire national populations were given the choice of converting to Islam or
> being put to the sword. Most converted, naturally enough.
>
> (cf. various histories, incl. Wright's "Sacred Rage.")
>
> Islam is one of the religions teaching that "martyrs" go directly to
> Paradise/Heaven/Valhalla. A terrorist who explodes himself goes directly to
> sit at Allah's dinner table. His relatives, too, as I understand their
> beliefs, though the surviving relatives have to wait until they die to get
> this benefit.
>
> Further, if a large Middle Eastern city, e.g., Tel Aviv or Haifa, were to
> be nuked by Believers, then all of the vaporized Muslims in the city would
> automatically be martyred, and would also go to Paradise. This makes it
> more "acceptable" to Believers to hit targets which may contain their own
> kind. (The famous "Kill them all and let God sort them out" line really
> does apply to many Muslims.)
>
> (Two other religions come to mind as having similar beliefs about death in
> battle and afterlives: the Viking "berserkers" circa 800-1100 A.D. and the
> Japanese/Shinto suicide pilots in WW2. I'm sure there are other examples.)
>
> Most other religions which have strong beliefs about an afterlife,
> including Mormons, Catholics, and other flavors of Christianity,
> nevertheless have not adopted this "martyr" concept. This may explain why
> few suicide bombings and suchlike come from these groups.
>
> (There are exceptions. Many Christian sects believe that abortion is
> immoral and a grave sin, and that those who bomb or shoot up abortion
> clinics, a la John Salvi, are doing God's work and are ensured a place in
> Heaven. Personally, I expect to see more such "terrorist" acts in the
> coming decades, in the U.S.)

> [...]

Normally I would snip a bit to save bandwidth, but your comments,
abreviated, would not be as effective.

My cousin is attached to one of the Ranger companies that went to
Somalia, among other "friendly" vacation spots. He told me that just
prior to moving out to rescue 6 men pinned down at 900 m by sniper fire,
his CO instructed them that these snipers were muslim and considered it
an honor to die for their religion. His last words to them were: "Tell
them 'Go with God', then fire!"

As far as John was concerned it was a win-win situation...

...Paul

BTW, Attila, this was one of the companies Eric had to help pull out of
the fire, created courtesy of the UN and the Pakistani CO for that
attachment. But that's an interesting story for another time.