CWD -- Jacking in from the "Keys to the Kingdom" Port

Alan Olsen alano at teleport.com
Wed Jul 3 20:25:22 PDT 1996

At 06:58 PM 7/3/96 -0400, Mark M. wrote:

>> I've wondered .. could a creative child circumvent these filter programs
>> using a URL-redirecter, like where you see something like
>> http://www.one.site.com/cgi-bin/rd?http://www.porno-site.com/
>> or are they not URL-based?
>
>If the child is creative enough, he will be able to boot DOS from a bootdisk
>and remove the line from config.sys that starts up the filtering software.

Or just remark it out and reboot.  Or does the filtering software make it so
they cannot use an editor as well...?

Sounds like a pretty easy thing to bypass given a small amount of clues.
(Makes me wonder how the usually clueless parents are going to block access
to their kids who usually understand the technology better than they do.)
---
Alan Olsen -- alano at teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano at teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon
                "Microsoft -- Nothing but NT promises."