Info on alleged new German digital wiretapping law?

Ulf Moeller um at c2.org
Wed Jul 3 17:43:15 PDT 1996

> > > http://fight-censorship.dementia.org/fight-censorship/dl?num=3027

> So what's the prospect for implementation? The claim is that law enforcement
> is supposed to have a back door to every computer system. Are we talking
> about escrow of root passwords, or what?

No. There are two points:

1) The network operators have to create a wiretapping system to be
approved by the Regulation Authority, and operate dedicated digital
lines for law enforcement access.  As I understand it, Internet
providers could be forced to duplicate IP packets to that line, when
wiretapping has been ordered.

2) They have to keep files of customer data (name, address, etc.) that
the Regulation Authority can access secretly at any time.