Info on alleged new German digital wiretapping law?

Rich Graves llurch at networking.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 3 02:01:42 PDT 1996

On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Ulf Moeller wrote:

> Rich Graves <llurch at networking.stanford.edu> writes:
>
> > http://fight-censorship.dementia.org/fight-censorship/dl?num=3027
> >
> >and in alt.fan.ernst-zundel. What's up?
>
> The report is correct.
>
> The mainstream press has completely ingnored the wiretap legislation,
> probably because it is part of the long-awaited new telecommunications
> law to end the Telekom monopoly.

We 'merkins were probably just a little more aware.

So what's the prospect for implementation? The claim is that law enforcement
is supposed to have a back door to every computer system. Are we talking
about escrow of root passwords, or what? That's the bit I found loony, given
what I've heard (from you and others) about the generally semi-clueful
technology and telecoms ministries. Is it THAT bad?

-rich