Lack of PGP signatures

David F. Ogren ogren at cris.com
Wed Jul 3 00:18:36 PDT 1996

To: cypherpunks at toad.com
Date: Tue Jul 02 23:47:42 1996
<snip>

> This is one reason.  I think that there are several other reasons:
>
>  -- Someone may be using a machine at work or on a multiuser UNIX system
>  which
>     is untrusted and insecure.  In the case of a UNIX account, one
>  could
>     compose a message off-line and rz it using a term program, but that
>  is a
>     major hassle.

 From the responses I received, this one may be a biggie.  And it's one that
we can't do much about remedying.

<snip>

> > Is it because most mail programs are not PGP aware?
>
> I don't know of any mail programs that can use PGP (I know there are
>  various
> interfaces, sendmail wrappers, and other hacks, but I have yet to see a
>  mailer
> with an "Encrypt" or "Sign" option.

I'm beta testing a PGP aware mailer right now called Pronto Secure.  It
will be a great program when its release.  Requires almost no PGP
knowledge.  Everything is almost perfectly transparent to the user.

There is also Private Idado, of course, but that's a little harder to use,
and doesn't have the features of a full-fledged mailer.

I figure that if strong encryption becomes legal to export from the US
(making international standards easier to implement), we may see more
programs like these.

David F. Ogren                |
ogren at concentric.net          | "A man without religion is like a fish
PGP Key ID: 0x6458EB29        |  without a bicycle"
Don't know what PGP is?       | Need my public key?  It's available
Send a message to me with the | by server or by sending me a message
subject GETPGPINFO            | with the subject GETPGPKEY