Message pools _are_ in use today!

Ulf Moeller um at c2.org
Tue Jul 2 20:54:43 PDT 1996

>alt.anonymous.messages is not an ideal message pool-- it is a hack.
>(Granted, it *is* a really cool, clever, and practically useful hack.)

I agree that alt.anonymous.messages is not perfect. But if you
download all articles and don't post to alt.anonymous.messages
without using a remailer, the only real threat are denial of
service attacks with cancel messages etc.

>If folks have better ideas for how to achieve really good recipient
>anonymity, I hope they'll speak up!

I think a DC+ net would achieve the same degree of anonymity more
efficiently. (It's not trivial to estimate the traffic caused by
a remailer net as proposed by Ian, so I may be wrong there.)