Paper: "A Socially based Identity Model"

Christian Wettergren cwe at it.kth.se
Tue Jul 2 13:35:48 PDT 1996

Hi!

I've written a paper where I introduce a "name spectrum"
as a identity model. The name spectrum has increasing
levels of identification; anyone, anyone with alias,
established pseudonym, well-reputed pseudonym, escrowed
pseudonym, identity and True Name.

I try to show how law enforcement still can find criminals,
even though they (we) have privacy. I argue that the power
balance between the individual and the law enforcement should
be approximately the same as it is in ordinary life. I
talk quite a lot about the analogy between real life and
cyberspace when it comes to power and trust.

I have a suggestion for how to deploy traffic mixers (DCnet)
without tilting the power balance too much to the advantage
of the user as well. I suggest reputation servers where an
efficient reputation market can be maintained.

I'd appreciate any comments on the paper. It is still
preliminary, though.

It is available at http://www.it.kth.se/~cwe/phd/ in
a number of formats.

-Christian Wettergren, cwe at it.kth.se