Iron Censorship

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Mon Jul 1 23:39:16 PDT 1996

The New York Times reports that:

"Tipped off by an anonymous source named "nobody," Simon & Schuster Inc. and
its literary police are engaged in the Internet equivalent of a high-speed
car chase: tracking down a runaway book pirated on right-wing and anarchist
sites on the World Wide Web.

In the last month, the publishing house's monitors have discovered more than
seven Internet sites containing the text of "Report from Iron Mountain,"
first published in 1967 and intended as political satire, and re-released
early this year by a Simon & Schuster imprint, the Free Press."

http://www.nytimes.com/library/cyber/week/0701iron-mountain.html

Taking up the challenge, I fired up AltaVista and quickly found:

http://www.cwi.nl/htbin/jack/mailfetch.py?2383

(2646 lines)

I haven't checked this version against my dog-eared first edition so I don't
know if this one has been modified by the Great Enemy.

DCF

"Who wonders what ever happened to the Regional Government Conspiracy.
Anyone out there remember "Blame Metro", "Terrible 1313" and other
chronicles of what used to be called the Metropolitan Government movement?"