(fwd) Re: Cookie problem here , cookie problem there ...

Damaged Justice frogfarm at yakko.cs.wmich.edu
Mon Jul 1 22:30:32 PDT 1996

[Given the recent upset here regarding cookies, of which I only have the
most cursory knowledge, I hope some will find this tidbit of use.]

Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi,comp.infosystems.www.authoring.misc,comp.infosystems.www.browsers.misc
Subject: Re: Cookie problem here , cookie problem there ...
Date: 1 Jul 1996 14:28:39 -0500

In article <4r8m92$4u at news.istar.ca>,
Gord Jeoffroy <crs1583 at inforamp.net> wrote:
-} Margaret <margaret at werple.net.au> wrote:
-}
-} >You can disable the warnings, you cannot disable the cookies. I am
-} >cancelling every cookie I encounter (I usually avoid sites heavy
-} >with cookies), reason - I hate invasion of privacy and in particular,
-} >junk email from direct marketing.
-}
-}
-} I completely agree with your sentiment, by the way. I'm planning to
-} add an editorial to an online magazine I'm beginning. The article will
-} be full of server-side includes to demonstrate to the person reading
-} it that Big Brother definitely is watching.

I don't have any connection with these guys, except that I use
their software.  Check out www.privnet.com and the Internet Fast
Forward netscape plugin for Windows.  It can selectively filter
cookie transmissions to web servers as well as some other very
cool stuff like filter out unwanted images, including but not
limited to advertisements.  You will be amazed how much more
information you can get on your screen when you filter out the
useless images, like the one netscape puts at the top of their
home page.

Jerry Whelan -- Information Superman                         jerryw at convex.com

--
http://yakko.cs.wmich.edu/~frogfarm ...for the best in unapproved information
"We think people like seeing somebody in a uniform on the porch."  -US Postal