rsync and md4

Charles Watt watt at sware.com
Mon Jul 1 12:29:35 PDT 1996

-----BEGIN PRIVACY-ENHANCED MESSAGE-----
Proc-Type: 4,MIC-CLEAR
 A0EApEjzeBjiSnGImJXgeY1K8HWSufpJ2DpLBF7DYqqIVAX9H7gmfOJhfeGEYVjK
 aTxjgASxqHhzkx7PkOnL4JrN+Q==
MIC-Info: RSA-MD5,RSA,
 AUgiTVoKIzYpT3U2b5lxqGU6+uLTb+C+hivLsd0PxXH993pdEwRJ3rvJtAPSIacX
 +G7fosR46YQw+F9wxr955fI=

> "David F. Ogren" writes:
> > I stand by my statements.
>
> Then you have lost all your reputation with me. If you don't even have
> the integrity to admit that you are wrong, you are obviously not a
> reasonable source of information.

How typically Perry.

> > However, MD5 (and MD4) have not been completely cracked.  The problems that
> > you bring up have to do with situations where an active attacker develops a
> > slightly different pair of documents with the same hash.
>
> I believe that is "cracked" under most definitions of cryptographic
> hashes, Mr. Ogren. A cryptographic hash is supposed to be useable in a
> signature precisely because it is supposed to be computationally
> infeasable to find two documents with the same hash. Whether both
> documents are chosen by the attacker or only one is immaterial -- the
> property as stated is independant of that. As things stand, you can
> get someone to sign a contract saying "I agree to pay David F. Ogren
> $100" and turn it into one saying "I agree to pay David F. Ogren
> $2395.39" or some such. If that isn't "cracked" what would be
> "cracked"? Yes, it could be worse, but is this not far more than bad
> enough?
>
> > Although this is highly undesirable characteristic for a hash function, and
> > shows a weakness in the function that may eventually lead to its being
> > completely cracked, it does not mean that a fraudulent document can be
> > created from an already signed document.
>
> Whatever you like, Mr. Ogren.
>
> Perry

Perry, as you are so fond of quoting Dobbertin, let me forward once again to
the list Hans' analysis of the "crack" that he discovered.  He explicitly
agrees with Mr. Ogren's analysis.  Yes it is prudent to move away from MD5.
But there are still plenty of uses where it is more than sufficient.

Charlie Watt
SecureWare

-----END PRIVACY-ENHANCED MESSAGE-----