Netscape "secure E-Mail"

Tony Iannotti tony at secapl.com
Wed Jan 31 17:42:36 PST 1996

On Wed, 31 Jan 1996, A. Padgett Peterson, P.E. Information Security wrote:

> Could do that now with a commerce server - didn't say "encrypted" email,
> said "secure". Prolly just sends it to port 443 on the secure channel and
> the server does the SMTP to the internal net.

  When I examine the headers from a PC running any POP client including
Netscape, (where the return path is smtp), they show up as originating
from the PC's address, whether direct net or dial-up PPP. Wouldn't that
indicate that the message is using SMTP not https over the link? (and
therefore in fact in the clear unless encrypted in body?) I think the
inclusion of the option of the Exchange client is a possible shift of the
onus of PEM to MS.  (frightening thought....)

 Where are MOSS and SMIME now?