Lotus Notes

Brian A. LaMacchia bal at martigny.ai.mit.edu
Wed Jan 31 06:38:27 PST 1996

   From: Rich Salz <rsalz at osf.org>
   Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 19:19:13 -0500
   Cc: cypherpunks at toad.com
   Sender: owner-cypherpunks at toad.com

   >I find this very interesting. RSA prohibits its licencees from using RSA
   >software with truly secure keylenghts.

   Hunh?  I could find no mention of keylength or keysize in the RSAREF
   documents I had around.  I'm at home now, but I also recall no mention
   of keysize or keylength in the license OSF has, either.

In RSAREF 2.0 this is covered by clause 2(d) in the license:

     d.   Prior permission from RSA in writing is required for any
          modifications that access the Program through ways other
          than the published Program interface or for modifications
          to the Program interface. RSA will grant all reasonable
          requests for permission to make such modifications.

The published interface references the following constants in source/rsaref.h:

/* RSA key lengths.
 */
#define MIN_RSA_MODULUS_BITS 508
#define MAX_RSA_MODULUS_BITS 1024
#define MAX_RSA_MODULUS_LEN ((MAX_RSA_MODULUS_BITS + 7) / 8)
#define MAX_RSA_PRIME_BITS ((MAX_RSA_MODULUS_BITS + 1) / 2)
#define MAX_RSA_PRIME_LEN ((MAX_RSA_PRIME_BITS + 7) / 8)

As part of the agreements leading to the release of MIT PGP 2.6 we
received explicit permission from RSADSI to increase
MAX_RSA_MODULUS_BITS to 2048.

					--bal