FV Demonstrates Fatal Flaw in Software Encryption of Credit

Ed Carp, KHIJOL SysAdmin erc at dal1820.computek.net
Mon Jan 29 21:45:13 PST 1996

> > >There are many ways to spread it besides a virus.  Zillions of 'em.  And
> >
> > There are zillions (what, more than one thousand?) ways to get someone
> > to run a random piece of software that will capture their keystrokes?
>
> Not wishing to get in the middle of this controversy, I have been
> wondering about the possibility of using a JAVA applet to do keyboard
> sniffing. As I am not familiar with this language, does anyone know if
> this would be possible?

>From what I've read about Java, it is not possible to use Java in this
way.  But keep in mind that while I've got this neat-o book on Java at my
elbow, I'm not independently wealthy nor am I a college student with lots
of time on his hands, so I haven't gotten very far into the book.  But
from what I've read and heard, it's not possible to compromise the
integrity of the interpreter - unless, of course, you buy into the
conspiracy crap that FV is trying to sell, and an Evil Computer Genius has
managed to replace your Java interpreter with one of his own design, which
he then uses to subvert your entire operating system and machine, etc.
<insert sound of manicial laughter here> ;)
Ed Carp, N7EKG    			Ed.Carp at linux.org, ecarp at netcom.com
					214/993-3935 voicemail/digital pager
					800/558-3408 SkyPager
Finger ecarp at netcom.com for PGP 2.5 public key		an88744 at anon.penet.fi

"Past the wounds of childhood, past the fallen dreams and the broken families,
through the hurt and the loss and the agony only the night ever hears, is a
waiting soul.  Patient, permanent, abundant, it opens its infinite heart and
asks only one thing of you ... 'Remember who it is you really are.'"

                    -- "Losing Your Mind", Karen Alexander and Rick Boyes