Authentication of crypto clients

Raph Levien raph at c2.org
Mon Jan 29 18:57:19 PST 1996

This post contains (somewhat) technical discussion of (what I believe
is) an important issue in integrating crypto with applications that do
not contain their own cryptographic implementation. If that doesn't
interest you, hit 'n' to resume your regularly scheduled flamefest.

The issue is: how does the crypto provider authenticate the client?
For example, if the crypto provider can accpet connections from any
application in the user's process space, then any bogus application
can easily start decrypting and signing as it likes. In this model, a
precondition for security is that no bogus programs can be allowed to
run.

An alternative, slightly more complex model is that the client must
somehow authenticate itself to the crypto provider. One simple way of
doing this is to require the client request a password from the user,
which is then forwarded to the crypto provider. The crypto provider
will only provide service on connections which have been authenticated
in this way. This model gives security even in the face of some bogus
applications.

Of course, as Nathaniel quietly reminded us this morning, any bogus
application which can intercept keystrokes can subvert any such client
authentication. Barry Jaspan (in his analysis of a security flaw in
SSH 1.2.0) reminds us that access to the image of the process is also
sufficient to break security. Perhaps the class of bogus programs
which have enough capabilities to connect to the crypto provider, but
not enough to intercept keystrokes or examine RAM is null, meaning
that the two models have equivalent security. Actually, the simpler
model has some security advantages, because the client never has to
deal with any very sensitive material, such as the password.

I'm interested in this question right now because the current version
of premail implements the simpler model (in fact, it simply stores all
the secrets in a file in /tmp, with permissions set to 600). I want to
know whether it's worth the trouble to design and implement an
approach based on per-client authentication.

This issue is also relevant to the discussion of Microsoft's CAPI,
which (as far as I can tell) allows only the simpler model. I'm not
saying it's bad, but I do feel that the implications should be
discussed. Thus, I have forwarded a copy of this post to
cryptapi at microsoft.com in case they have any comments.

If there's been a discussion of this that I missed, then apologies for
brining it up again and appreciation in advance for any pointers.

Raph