The Big Lie

Bruce Murphy packrat at ratbox.rattus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 29 04:23:30 PST 1996

In message <a3ZFiD78w165w at bwalk.dm.com>,
  Dr. Dimitri Vulis wrote:
> Zero crypto relevance...
>
> mpd at netcom.com (Mike Duvos) writes:
> > It is interesting to note that there is no specific law
> > prohibiting free speech for Holocaust Agnostics in Germany. The
> > actual laws under which such cases are prosecuted are libel laws,
> > which have been liberally interpreted to mean that one may not
> > "libel" deceased Jews as a class or their memory in the minds of
> > their surviving relatives.
> >
> > The notion of libeling a class of deceased persons strikes me as
> > a dangerous and particularly convoluted legal fiction. (Although
> > I certainly don't mean any disrespect for the deceased or their
> > survivors when I say this.)
>
> To me this sounds like a very twisted legal reasoning. If I understood
> correctly some other posts in this thread, by saying something like, "the Naz
> is
> invaded Denmark for reasons other than to round up and kill the 3,000 Danish
> Jews", this Zendel loser automatically implies that whoever says otherwise is
> lying; and that is a libel/slander, and is a criminal (not just civil) offens
> e.

I was under the impression that you couldn't libel/slander a dead
person. Mainly because libel/slander is a offence against reputation
which dead people don't care much for, but also because once you go
against this principle where in hell (no pun intended) do you draw the
line.

Of course my impressions tend to be based around the legal system I've
lived in all my life...

--
Packrat (BSc/BE;COSO;Wombat Admin)
Nihil illegitemi carborvndvm.