"German service cuts Net access" (to Santa Cruz)

Mike Duvos mpd at netcom.com
Mon Jan 29 00:04:00 PST 1996

olmur at dwarf.bb.bawue.de (Olmur) writes:

 > Free speech ends where other people can reasonable claim
 > that their feelings are badly hurt.

Excuse me?  That line is definitely .sig file fodder.

 > Is it constitutionally protected in US to knowingly hurt
 > other people's feelings and to trample on graves?????

Of course it is.  What a silly question.  My feelings get hurt on
Usenet almost every day and you don't see me whining about it.

 > Mike's information is old.  Meanwhile it's explicitely
 > forbidden to deny the holocaust.

I'm so pleased to hear you have updated your laws with this new
progressive "hurt feelings" doctrine.  Obviously "PC" translates
quite well into the German language.

 > Due to our history publishing NAZI-propaganda is forbidden
 > in Germany. The big majority in Germany agrees with this
 > view, that NAZI-propaganda doesn't fall under 'free speech'.

Much as the Third Reich took the view that anti-Nazi speech
wasn't protected.  Your country hasn't changed its authoritarian
perspective on freedom of personal expression.  All it has done
is put a different set of publicly supported items on the
official censorship list.

Didn't the Germans learn anything from World War II?

     mpd at netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $