[NOISE] Re: The Big Lie

Dr. Dimitri Vulis dlv at bwalk.dm.com
Sun Jan 28 18:54:48 PST 1996

This has no cryptographic relevance whatsoever, but...

tcmay at got.net (Timothy C. May) writes:
> You need to read a wider variety of articles, and gain an understanding of
> irony used to make a point. I sometimes despair when I get these comments.
> (The ones I get in private mail often reveal incurable cluelessness, even
> if the correspondents are just high school students who somehow found the
> CP list.)
>
> To make it clear to those readers out there who take all posts as literal
> (and who didn't read my note at the bottom!), I was not doubting that Jews
> were exterminated.

I went to high school in the U.S. (a very unpleasant experience), and we were
more-or-less taught that:

a) Only Jews were killed in the Nazi death camps;
 (actually, Nazis targeted many other groups for extermination, and about
 half the people put to death in the camps weren't Jews.)
b) Nazis made soap/lampshades/mattresses from the fat/skin/hair of their
 victims on industrial scale;
c) Nazis primary goal in conquering the world was to round up and kill all
 the Jews;
d) The U.S. entered the war and defeated Germany almost single-handedly in
 order to save the Jews.

I can very well imagine how a typical American taught to believe the above can
come across a "revisionist" material like _While 6 Million Died_ by Arthur D.
Morse; or hear about Russia's role in defeating the Nazis; and begin to doubt
whether any Jews were murdered at all. That's not good.

I guess this bears some relevance to the subject of credibility.

---

Dr. Dimitri Vulis