Downsizing the NSA

E. ALLEN SMITH EALLENSMITH at ocelot.Rutgers.EDU
Sun Jan 28 15:31:35 PST 1996

From:	IN%"tcmay at got.net" 28-JAN-1996 03:47:14.08

>However, as Phill notes, the NSA and other intelligence agencies are now in
that most dangerous of positions: a powerful agency or department casting
about for something to do.

Spying on citizens and keeping the keys to their private communications and
diaries is not an appropriate option.

AT&T is downsizing, IBM downsized a while back, so why couldn't the NSA
just do the right thing: admit that the Soviet threat is no more,
congratulate the victors, and downsize by 20,000 employees?
	Funny, everyone seems to forget about China. If I were dictating NSA
policies, I'd simply reassign the people to China. Admittedly, modern
cryptography makes some of it useless, but HUMINT to get (parts of) codes
is still quite possible.
	-Allen