This post is rated LTC for `Low Technical Content'

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Sat Jan 27 19:17:38 PST 1996

At  6:36 PM 1/27/96 -0800, Rich Graves wrote:
>On Sat, 27 Jan 1996, Bill Frantz wrote:
>
>> At  7:55 PM 1/27/96 -0500, JMKELSEY at delphi.com wrote:
>> >The best solution has always seemed to me to be one of these three:
>> >
>> >a.   Tags appended to notes/posts, from various reviewers, digitally
>> >signed and otherwise coded to allow intelligent filtering, or
>> >
>> >b.   Electronic distributions of reviewers' evaluations tagged to
>> >notes in some simple way.  (I.e. give each note or post a unique ID
>> >which appears in the message.)  Then, a smart newsreader/mail
>> >program sorts the notes accordingly, or
>> >
>> >c.   The reviewer reads the group/list, and rates posts according to
>> >some useful criteria.  He then resends it out to his users, filtered
>> >as desired.  (CP-LITE seems like a very early version of this.)
>>
>> d. The "V-Chip" device makes a network query to the selected rating service
>> to ask for a rating.  What happen when the rating service is unreachable is
>> just one of the many parameters that the parent needs to set.  (If designed
>> right, no parent could use it, but its availability would still stop the
>> adult censorship croud in congress.)
>
>This just gets ridiculous. It adds a lot of overhead without necessarily
>giving you good information.

... <lots of good rant deleted>

Rich - Remember that this is NOT being designed for usability, only to stop
a bad movement in congress.  The reason I proposed solution (d) is that it
adds no overhead to people who don't use it.  (I propose using the
it has spoofing problems, but perhaps congress won't notice.)

Perhaps we should re-visit the need for usability if anyone really wants to
use such a system themselves.  As a parent, I always wanted my children to
explore freely and discuss anything they found that bothered them.

Bill