Possible Java hack.

Rich Graves llurch at networking.stanford.edu
Sat Jan 27 02:12:19 PST 1996

On Sat, 27 Jan 1996, Steve Gibbons wrote:

> Rich,
>
> [I've CCed this to cypherpunks, as well, I hope that you don't mind.]

Not at all, it was private only because I wasn't totally sure it wasn't a
stupid question.

> In Article: <Pine.ULT.3.91.960127010243.19154N-100000 at Networking.Stanford.EDU>, Rich Graves <llurch at networking.stanford.edu> wrote:
> # On Sat, 27 Jan 1996, Stephen P. Gibbons wrote:
>
> # > If this is the case (and I don't have a source license at this point, or
> # > even a system that will run Java) there is the possiblility that a sytem
> # > with control of a web server and a DNS server could coerce a Java client
> # > into initiating TCP connections to clients other than the system that
> # > provided the applet (which should be a prohibited behavior, as I read the
> # > specs.)
>
> # If I understand you correctly, this is only true if neither your stack nor
> # your client caches DNS queries. One or the other almost always does, at
> # least for a minute, no matter how low you set TTL.
>
> Yes, a client that cache's DNS queries can get in the way somewhat.  I've
> already considered this, and the "devious applet" would take advantage
> of Java's capability to use multiple threads (one of which would sleep()
> for whatever period of time was necessary to invalidate the cache, and
> _then_ initiate the attack.)  Yes, there are are various other specific
> cases that need to be considered in order to make the attacking app (if
> it's even feasable) work all of (or a good percentage of) the time.
>
> It would be very easy to conceal the "devious" portion of the applet
> inside of trojan horse that ran for a length of time greater than the
> minimum TTL for DNS caching.

Which I believe you will find is platform- and even application-dependent.

If you're talking about Windows NT or 95, for example, the winsock.dll
used by 16-bit applications caches DNS lookups in the TCP/IP stack
itself. I think TTL is listened to.

wsock32.dll, on the other hand, doesn't do central DNS caching. So
applications implement it themselves. I'm not sure that applications even
have an opportunity to see the TTL information in the DNS response. I
doubt there's standard behavior; Netscape, HotJava, and other stuff will
probably time out DNS lookups differently.

Real operating systems are probably a bit more standard about what they
do with DNS lookups, but I'm sure there's variance.

Still a really interesting idea, though. My first reaction was, well who
the hell controls a DNS server and a Web server and is likely to have a
piece of Java that you are likely to download? And the answer is, just
the kind of person you worry about.

This bait & switch thang can really be generalized to any kind of attack.
Of course, it's traceable, since not that many people own or can spoof a
DNS server.

-rich