Open NNTP servers and logging

Michael Peponis mianigand at unique.outlook.net
Fri Jan 26 22:53:54 PST 1996

On 26 Jan 96 at 21:11, Stephen Albert wrote:

> A little while back there were some very helpful posts about getting started
> wit open NNTP servers.  Since my regular site runs kinda slow in the news
> department I've been having fun poking around and seeing about getting more
> current.
>
> Then it dawned on me.  People keep logs.  Presumably routine logging would
> point right back at my ISP, and from there it'd be not too hard to pin down me
> specifically.  No, I don't think anyone is particularly *likely* to do that,
> but why take chances?
>
> So...anyone know of open NNTP servers that *don't* keep logs?  Or some other
> way around the problem?

Well, as bad as the lack of anonymity may be, NNTP server logs serve a very
usefull purpose, ie finding and eliminating trolls and spammers.

Unfortunatly, I would have to go logs given the state of UseNet.

Why not just read from the open server, and post anonyomously using anonymous
remailers and News-to-Mail Gateways?
Regards,
Michael Peponis
PGP Key Avalible form MIT Key Server,or via finger