Crypto Exports, Europe, and Conspiracy Theories

Rich Salz rsalz at osf.org
Fri Jan 26 17:12:32 PST 1996

I believe that one minor reason is the PKP chokehold on public-key patents.
It has slowed down adoption within the US, and the RSA licenses for example
tend to get very "interesting" when it involves places where their patents
don't hold.

Last year, how many COTS products had strong crypto? There are very few
software imports into the US.  I don't think crypto is particularly
slighted.

There might be pressure, and there might be dummy front firms, but with
tongue in cheek to emphasize the point, I just think those ferriners
can't code fer shit.
	/r$