"Gentlemen do not read each other's mail"

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Fri Jan 26 02:53:44 PST 1996

At 02:14 PM 1/25/96 -0800, Rich Graves wrote:

>I believe that the choice not to read other people's personal mail is an
>ethical imperative, since we do not have and probably can not have total
>privacy enforced by technology and law alone. Sure, strong crypto helps,
>and should be spread, but there will always be back doors and
>implementation bugs, and in the worst case, most people will give in to
>moderate torture.
>
>It's hard to say what the ethical role of individuals in the government
>(or Jim Bell's "assassination politics" organization, which quacks like a
>government for me) is.

Needless to say, I disagree.  If you define government as, "That entity
which keeps me from doing bad things to people,"  then a S+W model 629 .44
caliber revolver "quacks like a government to you."

If the reason you don't do bad things in public because people will sneer at
you and criticize, then sneering and criticizing "quacks like a government
to you."

What "Assassination Politics" does is to eliminate the ability of 51% of the
population to control the remaining 49%.  If there is any residual
pro-government bias left in this system, tell me and I will work strongly to
root it out.