"This post is G-Rated"

s1018954 at aix2.uottawa.ca s1018954 at aix2.uottawa.ca
Thu Jan 25 20:54:19 PST 1996

On Thu, 25 Jan 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> If the League of Usenet Ladies makes this request, I have no problems
> (though I'm almost certain to delete their request and do nothing one way
> or another about it). If the Islamic Students Association makes the same
> request, I also have no problems (and will also likely discard the
> request). These are non-governmental entities, merely requesting actions
> (and, of course, gettting about 2% compliance, or less,  with their
> requests).
Actually there's a pgp-based program that lets them do that with usenet
posts. It is called NoCem ("No See 'Em") and is currently used to let users
avoid spam. With spam (or crud of your choice) being defined by those
posters to alt.nocem.misc whom you trust the most. You can let canceller
of your choice (anyone with pgp) censor your personal newsfeed.

Unfortunately, like all things unix or command line, it is not a
no-brainer for Joe Sixpack (I couldn't manage to run it on this unix
system, for example.) Of course any windows or mac hack could do the
same trick. Try <http://www.cm.org>

Bryce's proposal from last week for a cypherpunks-message cancellation
list is similar. (Sorry, Bryce, I'd help out if I had the time.)

> (Note of course that the League of Usenet Ladies and the Islamic Students
> Association are very likely to have very different ideas about what the
> labels should reflect! Not to mention the several hundred other major
> special interest groups who will want their ideologies reflected in a
> ratings system.)

And the above system would let them do it. One could also personally
assign a "weight" to each rater and have messages cancelled once a
threshold was passed (this proposed in the faq, since I couldn't run it, I
don't know if it currently does it).

Who says pgp's web of trust is obsolete? This is an actual application.
Grassroots tech wins again. (Of course this is just a souped-up
killfile prog masquerading as a newserver, really. Simple solution.)