UK newspaper names Zimmermann a "neo-Nazi sympathiser"

Anthony Naggs tnaggs at cddotdot.mikom.csir.co.za
Thu Jan 25 01:29:32 PST 1996

Declan McCullagh kindly forwarded Mike Godwin's comments thusly:

> From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic at well.com>
> Subject: Re: UK newspaper names Zimmermann a "neo-Nazi sympathiser"
> To: Declan McCullagh
> Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 18:13:11 -0800 (PST)
> Cc: fight-censorship+ at andrew.cmu.edu
>

> Zimmermann stands to recover a lot if he sues the Telegraph under British
> libel laws.
>

> --Mike
>
> [...]

Er no, in practice it is hard to persue a libel case in the UK where the
publication has responded immediately with a printed apology - especially
if the apology is prominently placed.  The mail catenated to Godwin's
comments (from PRZ himself) indicates that the Sunday Telegraph will be
publishing such an apology in their next edition.  An out of court
settlement, apart from lawyers costs, may yield a charitable donation but
it certainly looks like PRZ will benefit from a sympathetic article
which seems to me to be a pretty good result!

Cheers,
--
Anthony Naggs	- Computer Security & Anti-Virus Engineer, CSIR, South Africa
Disclaimer: these are my personal views and opinions, and do not represent