Hack Java

Matthew Sheppard Matthew.Sheppard at Comp.VUW.AC.NZ
Tue Jan 23 22:05:38 PST 1996

The shadowy figure took form and announced "I am Rich Salz and I say ...
> Then if I have the code
>
> 	tricky_pointer = 10000;
> 	for (; tricky_pointer < 50000 ;) {
> 		dumptofile(trick.data)
> 		tricky_pointer += 16;
> 	}

Aside from memory management in java being internal to the virtual
machine as covered in other posts  Java is a strongly typed language.
There is no notion of void * (pointers that point to anything) and the
current implementation ensures the pointer is either null or valid.

Even if you could the current implementation disallows any pointer
arithmetic at all! i.e no pointer++;

Also if the object your pointing at is destroyed your pointer will be
updated to null or you will generate an exception when you next use it
as per the bargabe collection policy.

--Matt