The Collapse of Ideas in a Pop Culture

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Tue Jan 23 20:26:54 PST 1996

At 10:50 AM 1/23/96 -0800, Simon Spero wrote:
>On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Scott Staedeli wrote:
>

>>    I _am_ a GEnXer, and I worshipped Jules Bergmann as a child. Some
>> of my first memories is pressing my nose up to the tv, watching Saturn
>> V's lifting off. If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to take the Saturn
that's

>Bollocks. If you can remember Saturn Vs taking off before reruns, you're
>too old!
>
>Simon (27th July 1969, nearly called Neil)

In 1975, I lived in a small suburb of Kansas City, and went with my
grandfather from Kansas City Airport on a chartered Boeing 747 to see the
Apollo part of the Apollo/Soyuz rocket "blast off". (the whole thing was
arranged my a local group of bigwigs, I think.)  ( I think it was a Saturn
V, but correct me if
I'm wrong.  I was young and impressionable.) First and last large rocket I
saw go in person; I was sincerely impressed; it was extremely LOUD and we
were kept MILES away on a grandstand.  (But we were the closest you could
get, as I understand it, as we were invited guests of the whole thing.)

Incidentally, flying on the same airplane from Kansas City were:

1.  Susan Ford, daughter of President Gerald Ford.
2.  Dr. Werner Von Braun.

ob crypto:  Uh, none, sorry.