SS Obergruppenfuhrer Zimmermann (NOT!)

Alex Strasheim cp at proust.suba.com
Tue Jan 23 18:27:08 PST 1996

> We need to find a way to take back the initiative. We need to find a way
> to put the fear of God into liers.

I'm outta step here, I know, but it seems to me that if we're going to go
around advocating anonymity and technology that makes censorship
impossible we'd better grow thicker skins.

Phil changed the world.  Maybe not as much as people like Roosevelt or
Reagan, but a lot more than most people do.  He wrote a software package
that's in wide use, and which has lots of admirers.  He used technology to
effect positive political changes around the world -- noteworthy both for
the effect and the ingenuity of the strategy.  And he stood up under a
personal attack from the government.  They came at him, but he took it and
won.

Everyone who does something extraordinary gets hit with pot shots.  It's
part of the package.

Is it a terrible thing that someone called him a name in print?  Yes.  If
he's got a case, he should sue.  But something tells me he's tough enough
to take it either way.

> Violence won't work, since they are capable of human-wave attacks.

And because it's wrong?