Blacknet & Lotus Notes

Herb Sutter herbs at connobj.com
Tue Jan 23 06:18:40 PST 1996

At 19:13 01.18.1996 -0500, Adam Shostack wrote:
>	So, lets buy the espionage enabling secret key.  Its an
>obvious target, not just for cypherpunks, but for the KGB, Mossad,
>Toshiba, IBM, and anyone else who wants to read their competitors
>correspondance.  Lets face it, this key will get out there, and be
>available to all the big players; lets make it available to everyone!

I think people are missing the point... even if we assume the absolute worst
case, that the private key is broken and becomes publicly available,
international Notes users are no worse off than before.

That said, it shouldn't happen soon.  One of the things Ray said in his
announcement was that the government agreed to both generate and then guard
this key with the same diligence with which they guard their most important
secrets (he specifically mentioned nuclear missile controls).  While it
makes for a nice sound bite, I'm comfortable that there's probably also a
lot of truth to it.

Herb

Herb Sutter (herbs at connobj.com)

Connected Object Solutions     2228 Urwin - Suite 102     voice 416-618-0184
http://www.connobj.com/      Oakville ON Canada L6L 2T2     fax 905-847-6019