You want to read MY e-mail?

Alan Pugh ampugh at mci.newscorp.com
Mon Jan 22 23:56:06 PST 1996

=snip=
>A bill by Sen. Paul Weissmann, R-Louisville, to make e-mail as privileged as
>telephone conversations was killed in a Senate committee.
>
>A somewhat stronger bill still rests in the House.
=snip=
>Jim Carpenter, press secretary for Romer, said his office was "looking at all
>the issues, all the options."
>
>Duke said he has always complied with requests for public records, but said the
>request for e- mail messages goes too far.
>
>"I'm disturbed by it," Duke said.
>
>(John Sanko writes for the Rocky Mountain News in Denver.)
>
>   OK, if _I_ can't read your e-mail Mr. Legislator, why should you
>be able to read _mine_?

a good question. perhaps _now_ they'll get serious about recognising email
as eqivalent to postal mail. this would be an excellent way of pushing this
elsewhere. when _their_ ox is gored, they'll scream like stuck pigs.

one interesting aspect of this would be whether regular mail is considered a
public record under the law as far as legislooters mail goes. if so, then
she should get it.

amp