Why is blowfish so slow? Other fast algorithms?

David Mazieres dm at amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Jan 22 22:55:16 PST 1996

> From: Adam Shostack <adam at lighthouse.homeport.org>
> Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 11:20:57 -0500 (EST)
> Cc: cypherpunks at toad.com
>
> David Mazieres wrote:
>
> | First, can someone tell me if the latest version of blowfish (the one
> | in Applied Crypto 2nd edition) is available online somewhere?  I
> | looked at a bunch of crypto ftp servers and could only find an older
> | version of blowfish that did not have the blf_ctx structure allowing
> | multiple keys to be active at a time.
>
> Did you check ftp.dsi.unimi.it?  I seem to remember them having the
> latest source right after Crypto95.  Also, ftp.csua.berkeley.edu
> should have it.  (Their code is version 1.3; do you know what version
> you're after?)

Unfortunately, neither of those sites have it.

The version I'm looking for has a blf_ctx structure that gets passed
as the first argument to functions so you can use multiple keys at a
time.  It also has the initialization data stuck in the C code.

Does anyone out there have the Applied Cryptography source code
diskette?  Would you be willing to mail me the code?  It would
probably take a while if I ordered the diskette myself and I'd like to
get the code as soon as possible.

Thanks,
David